Firefighters are warning that the risk of fire is still high, despite recent downpours, following a field fire on the outskirts of Newport this evening (Thursday).
1 appliance was mobilised to the area of Long Lane where an area measuring 30x20m was found to be alight.
Hose reel jets were used to dowse the flames.
If you see a fire in the countryside, contact the fire service immediately on 999. Do not attempt to tackle fires that cannot be put out with a bucket of water.
Remember, do not discard cigarettes or other smoking materials in the countryside. It is also important to clear away bottles, glasses and any broken glass to avoid them magnifying the sun and starting a fire.
Always take extra care if using a barbecue and only light fires or BBQs in designated areas. Never leave a campfire or BBQ unattended and extinguish them properly after you have finished using them.
The views/opinions expressed in these comments are solely those of the author and do not represent those of Island Echo. House rules on commenting must be followed at all times.
For more news click thebritaintimes.co.uk